In the Old Days:
Arielle Haze views
Unpainting the Town:
Helen K. Garber photos
Art at the Rose Cafe'
New Venice Sign
In the Old Days
Looking from the lagoon end of Windward toward the ocean end.
Looking from the Lagoon, which later was filled in to become the traffic circle, toward the ocean. The mast of the Cabrillo ship cafe is straight ahead, the Bandstand is the pointy roof just to the right of it. In the right foreground is the Lagoon Bathhouse.
Looking toward the Lagoon. St. Mark's Hotel is on the near left. The south side of Windward was not filled in with buildings until around 1915
Around 1908, this card misidentifies the view as looking west. Actually, it looks toward the Lagoon.
Ground was broken for St. Mark's Hotel on December 5,1904. It was one of Venice's original buildings. It was demolished in 1964. (The Venice Hotel was demolished in 1965.)
This card misidentifies Windward Ave. as the Midway
Postcard copyright 1906
© 2004 - 2012 Pat Hartman